The next dates for the SASA Ski Academy have been confirmed as:
- Sunday 22 September 2019
- Sunday 20 October 2019
- Sunday 10 November 2019
- you must enrol for a minimum of TWO sessions, but aim for three as the Academy programme is designed around the work in all three sessions.
- experienced racers who are in year 4 may also join as long as they have raced within 130% of the fastest time at any of the 2017/8 or 2018/9 SASA Winter League races
SASA wants to provide high quality training with clear learning objectives and positive feedback to all participants. In order to do this, we have set up a series of three training sessions, held on Sunday afternoons and consisting of on-hill technique and off-hill exercise and feedback.
The Academy will be limited to 20 skiers trained by two guest coaches, so all participants will be able to make the most of the coaches’ extensive experience and advice. All trainees will be issued with a log book to enable them to record their individual training plans that they have agreed with the coaches, allowing them to concentrate on what they have learned in practice between Academy sessions.
The Academy is not just about training on gates. The structure of the course is designed to cover non skiing activities that are vital to the development of a top athlete. The theory behind the sport is a key feature of the Academy. Each Academy starts with an interactive theory session, covering such topics as sports nutrition, racing rules, how to read a course etc. Athletes also take part in off-hill training with a qualified sports fitness coach, enabling them to get a better understanding of the exercise that will maximise their skiing fitness.
The Academy is aimed at experienced racers and in order to be considered for the Academy, the trainee must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum age – year 5 or above who have raced before at either artificial or alpine races
- OR year 4 who ski with a time within 130% of the fastest overall skier at any one of the 2017/18 or 2018/19 Winter League races
- Current SASA member
- In the event of over subscription, preference will be given to those who race for SASA. The cut off for preference for SASA racers is Sunday 8 September 2019.
The timetable for each session is:
- 16:00 – session start
- 16:05 – classroom/ theory session
- 16:30 – warm up (trainers will be required)
- 17:00- on-hill session
- 19:00 – 19:15 warm down/debrief
We will announce the coaches nearer the time.
The cost for the SASA Academy is £25 per session. A minimum of two sessions must be booked.